Today is day number five in the Seven Days of Scarfie and today's free crochet pattern will be the last scarf/cowl in the collection (but stick around because two more awesome pieces are coming!). Like all Scarfie pieces, this cowl is crazy warm and would look awesome in any of the Scarfie colorways. I really like how nicely it shows off the beautiful color gradient of the yarn! Keep reading for the free crochet pattern.
This cowl uses the moss stitch, which is an incredibly simple stitch and perfect for even beginners! I very intentionally used my 'Cream/Black' colorway for this project because with the moss stitch you mostly work into ch spaces instead of into actual stitches. MUCH easier to see when working with dark colored yarns.
Lion Brand Scarfie yarn is available at most stores that sell yarn and also online. For this project (if you can't get your hands on Scarfie or can't work with yarn that has wool in it) I would recommend substituting a heavier catergory 4 worsted/aran weight yarn or a lighter weight category 5 bulky yarn. Gauge is not particularly important for this project, but you can certainly work up a gauge swatch if you want your finished cowl to be the same size at mine.
If you want to read some more about the Seven Days of Scarfie 2017 collection you can read my announcement post here where you will find links to my other patterns. Also, remember that through November 30th, you can purchase the ad-free pdf patterns from my 2016 Seven Days of Scarfie collection for just $7 for all seven patterns!
- One skein of Lion Brand Scarfie yarn (‘Cream/Black’ pictured). If you would like to substitute another yarn I would recommend a heavier catergory 4 worsted/aran weight yarn or a lighter weight category 5 bulky yarn. Approx. 312 yds. of a comparable yarn will be needed.
- 5.5mm crochet hook (I use Clover Amour)
- Yarn needle
- Scissors - I always keep these travel scissors in my hook case
Abbreviations (written in U.S. terms):
- ch: chain
- SC: single crochet
13 sts x 13 rows = 4" square in SC
Length = 14"
Width = 13.5"
- ch stitches at the beginning of rounds do not count as a stitch
- the stitch used in the pattern is call the Moss Stitch
- the end of each round is attached to the first stitch of the round with a sl st
- you can easily adjust the length of this cowl by adding or subtracting rounds between Rounds 2-52
- you can easily adjust the width of this cowl by adjusting the starting chain in increments of 2.
ch 100, join to the first ch st with a sl st to form a circle. Make sure there are no twists!
Round 1: ch 1, SC around. Attach to the first SC of the round with a sl st. (100)
Round 2: ch 1, *SC, ch 1, skip 1, repeat from * around. Attach to the first SC of the round with a sl st (100).
Round 3: ch 2, skip 1, SC in ch space from previous round, *ch 1, skip 1, SC in the ch space from the previous round, repeat from * around. Attach with a sl st to the 2nd ch from the starting ch 2. (100)
Round 4-52: Continue repeating Round 2 (on even rounds) and Round 3 (on odd rounds).
Round 53: ch 1, SC around working SC sts into the ch space and SC stitches from the previous round. Attach to the first SC of the round with a sl st (100).
Tie off yarn and weave in ends.
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!