My two year old is OBSESSED with horses and unicorns. I'm not even really sure where it came from, but it is a true love of hers that has stood the test of time! We have so many horse toys, stuffies, and books in our house that, when I saw this unicorn inspired crochet hook from The Speckled Clay Boutique, I just had to have it!
Polymer Clay Hooks are So Hot Right Now!
I have been wanting to try a polymer clay hook for a while. When I was a kid, my friend and I would spend HOURS making and baking our polymer clay creations. In high school I took several ceramics classes. So about a year ago I decided to make myself a clay hook thinking "this can't be THAT hard". Well let me tell you...it wasn't pretty. It didn't even come close to something I wanted to share on my blog. Nope!
So fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was perusing some photos in Instagram (don't forget to follow me!) when I came across a photo of an awesome polymer clay hook! It was from Debi at The Speckled Clay Boutique. A bit more browsing on her profile and I was "hooked" if you will ;) I clicked on over to her Etsy store and the rest is hook addiction history.
Why I LOVE My New Hook:
I was so surprised to see that Debi just opened her shop this year! She has already had a lot of sales and has ALL 5 star reviews. That's pretty darn impressive! I had a hard time picking from her awesome selection of hooks. I was tempted by so many of them but in the end, for my daughter's sake, I had to pick the unicorn :) So let me tell you a little bit about this treasure:
- The prices are fantastic! Considering how much time and effort Debi puts into each hook, I really don't know how she keeps her creations so affordable.
- Shipping was great! I ordered my hook and got it about a week later. Keep in mind that I ordered a pre-made hook. If you get a hook "made to order" it may take a bit longer than that. But as crocheters, we know that art and creativity take some time, love and care, right?
- My hook came packaged carefully with a handwritten thank you from Debi :) Overall the hook is very sturdy and durable.
- This hook is comfortable to hold, and as I stated above-durable! I have used it several times now and find it very comfortable to crochet with.
- I opted for a Boye style hook when I ordered. Clover's are my absolute favorite though, and The Speckled Clay Boutique now offers these as an option (for an additional fee). I will absolutely be getting Clover hooks when I order from her in the future :) She also offers Susan Bate's hooks...so whatever your preference is she's got you covered!
- I really like how the hook size is stamped into the clay. I can see myself, down the road, forgetting what size it is otherwise!
- The detail that Debi included in this hook is great! The colors are vibrant and the unicorn horn comes to a perfect point. All the accents are very securely attached.
- I got three unexpected stitch markers along with this purchase, and that was a super fun and unexpected surprise!
- I will definitely be a return customer! I love supporting fellow artisans whenever I can.
- Debi was such a pleasure to work with. Great communication and a genuinely kind person!
- The Speckled Clay Boutique offers custom crochet hook orders. That means if you have a design idea-she will work with you to make it come to life! This would be such a special gift for an avid crocheter :)
Want To See My Wish List??
Here are the hooks from The Speckled Clay Boutique that are on MY wish list right now:
- Cookies and Milk Crochet Hook - the stitch markers included are to die for!
- Caterpillar Crochet Hook - I'm really interested in trying the slim design and I am always a sucker for the purple/green combo :)
- Beach Crochet Hook - I need this one before next winter when I am buried under 5 feet of snow in ND!
Which hooks are your favorite? You can see them all in Debi's shop, The Speckled Clay Boutique. She is also on Instagram where she shares beautiful photos of her work! Now for the exciting news - I told Debi that I would be posting this review and she agreed to host a giveaway for all of my awesome readers! So now it is your turn to give her work a try :)
One lucky 'Grand Prize' winner will receive this fabulous "Belle Princess" inspired crochet hook (Susan Bates, size H) with matching stitch markers!
Two 'Runner Up' winners will receive a custom listing from Debi at The Speckled Clay Boutique for $10 off any hook of your choice!
This giveaway is open to U.S. AND Canadian residents and runs from 5/24/17 to 5/31/17 at 12AM CST. At this time two winners will be selected. Winners will be contacted on 5/31/17 via the provided email address and will have 48 hours to respond to claim their prize. If no response is received within 48 hours, a new winner will be selected. Your contact information will be provided to Debi who will then arrange getting your prize to you :)
Good luck everyone! I hope you will take a look at Debi's shop, she is really a talented artist :)
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!