Happy Friday again, readers! For those of you who have been with me from the beginning-you will recognize this project. Grids for Kids is back! And this time with a cute Halloween theme :)
For those of you who are not familiar with this project, Grids for Kids is basically a combination of pixel graphs that I use with the method of cross-stitch on crochet. I then turn 6 of these squares into a giant pillow block. The original Grids for Kids Alphabet/Animal blocks can be found HERE.
My daughter has SO MUCH fun with these blocks. Sometimes she talks about the letters and animals, sometimes she snuggles them, sometimes she throws them, and sometimes she covers herself in them. I love that they are fun, educational and versatile...not to mention super cute!
Not a fan of cross-stitch or don't want to learn how to do it (I DO have a quick video tutorial and it is really easy!)? That's totally fine! You can use these grids however you want. Tapestry crochet, C2C (corner to corner), bobble stitch, etc. In addition to blocks, these could be used to make blankets, pillows, or even a Trick or Treat bag like I made HERE for big kids and HERE for toddlers.
Instructions (for a slightly more detailed explanation of the finished sized-click here):
- Start this project by making 6-SC squares in the colors of your choice (I will provide my color recommendations below). Squares should be 31 sts wide and 31 rows high. I do recommend using a tight tension but gauge is not important for this project.
- Cross-stitch one image on each square (see grids below). VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE
- Assemble your block. VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE
Remember that these are 31x31 pixel squares when you are counting! I used the following colors for this block, but really anything you have laying around would work great. This project is a great scrap buster!
- Orange = Crafter's Secret 'Orange'
- Green (darker) = Big Twist Value 'Emerald'
- Green (lighter) = Red Heart Super Saver 'Glow Worm'
- Purple = Loops and Threads Impeccable 'Amethyst'
- Yellow = Red Heart Super Saver 'Bright Yellow'
- Black = Loops and Threads Impeccable 'Black'
- White = Loops and Threads Impeccable 'White'
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!